For the more adventurous and those who enjoy exploring and walking, our great island experience allows you additional time to fully explore the island and includes an additional audio tour of the southern side.
- Multiple departures daily — Time changes each day due to tidal conditions.
- 30-minute crossing (15 minutes to exit the Marina Locke gates and 15 minutes sailing time)
- Two to two and a half hours on the island depending on sailing selected
- Walking map with site information provided
- Special children’s walk & colouring map
- Audio tours of monastic site available in French, German, Italian & Spanish at request €3 (please bring ear phones with you).
Scattery Island Tour Itinerary
- One-hour guided walking tour around the monastic sites
- Tea/coffee/snacks available on the ferry during crossing and while the ferry is alongside the island
- Toilet facilities available on the island.
- Shannon car Ferries from Tarbert to Killimer or Killimer to Tarbert offers a 10% discount when booking on line for your Shannon car Ferries ticket.
Get to know the historic Scattery Island on this walking tour. Our most popular tour, this option allows you sufficient time to enjoy the guided walking tour of the monastic sites and a walk to the far end of the island, where the battery and lighthouse are located.
Your tour begins at Kilrush Marina. Enjoy the experience of the Marina’s Locke gates as we exit into the sheltered waters of the Shannon Estuary. Your short sailing to the island takes you past the picturesque village of Cappa and the smaller Hog Island. Laying just beyond this, Scattery’s round tower and cottages come into view as we make our approach.
Once on the island, you are greeted by the OPW Tour guide and swept away on a spellbinding walking tour of the monastic sites, where you learn about St. Senan’s brave battle against the serpent Cathagh and his creation of the monastic settlement dating back to the early fifth century. Your tour finishes at the island’s visitor centre, where you can visit the exhibition and learn more about island life over the centuries.
Once your monastic tour is complete, you have just enough time to walk the old path to the Napoleonic Artillery Battery and Lighthouse (please note that on two hour sailings, your time may be limited to reach this area after your guided walking tour), located at the southern end of the island (approx. 20 minutes each way). For those who wish to take a more leisurely approach, sit and relax at one of the picnic tables located outside the island’s visitor centre and enjoy the gentle sounds of the lapping tide and the island’s birdlife.
For our little VIPs, we offer a children’s walking map complete with a colouring page on the back so that they can learn about the island’s flora, fauna, and birds.
On your return trip, you can avail a refreshing tea or coffee with our onboard cafe facility.
- A water/windproof jacket with hood (weather dependent)
- Good walking shoes
- Swimsuit/towel/picnic blanket (optional)
- Phone and earphones (if you have booked a guided tour in an international language)
Our packed lunch options are freshly made each morning and are supplied to us by the local cafe The Potter’s Hand.
Choose from a selection of bread, meats, and fillings to create your perfect sandwich. Your packed lunch includes a freshly made sandwich of your choice, a bottle of water, a piece of fruit, and a mini treat! All our packed lunches come in a mini cooler bag with a handy crossbody strap, allowing you to carry it comfortably while exploring the island.
Create your own sandwich by selecting your fillings from the following:
Bread Options Meat Options Add Salad Add Dressing Brown Baked Ham Mixed Salad Pesto/Mayo White Fresh Roast Chicken Fresh Lettuce Balsamic Gluten Free Cheddar Cheese Lettuce & Tomato Sweet Chilli
We operate a ‘leave no trace’ policy on the island
All visitors are asked to do their part in protecting this special little island. We work hard to protect the island for future generations, and we ask all our visitors to join us in doing your part to keep the island clean and litter-free.
On your return please ensure you leave your lunch pack back in our office with any rubbish.
Kilrush is a wonderful market town offering many beautiful natural attractions and wonderful restaurants and shops. When visiting, why not also take time to enjoy our special passenger discounts available on shopping or dining or visit these popular attractions? Learn more.