Discover the beauty of Scattery Island and walk the paths of saints and scholars. This tour allows you between 2 and 2.5 hours on the island and includes a guided walking tour.
- Available on selected dates only (please view calendar)
- 30-minute crossing (15 minutes to exit the Marina Locke gates and 15 minutes sailing time)
- Between four and five hours on the island depending on the sailing selected
- Guided walking tour around the monastic sites at a leisurely pace
- Free audio tour of the battery and lighthouse area (please bring earphones with you)
- Audio tours of monastic site available in French, German, Italian & Spanish at request-€3 (please bring ear phones with you).
- Packed lunch (options available for selection on booking)*
*Lunch can be excluded from this package at a reduction of €6
- Adults 18 years and older
- Teenager 13 to 17 year olds
- Children 3 to 12 year olds
- Family 2 Adults and 2 Children under 12 years old
- OAP’s & Students Must have an OAP card or student ID upon arrival
- Infants 2 years and under
- Foreign Monastic Audio Tour
- Battery Lighthouse Audio Tour
Great Scattery Experience Itinerary
- Takeaway tea/coffee onboard the ferry included on outbound or return journey
- Walking map with site information provided on arrival
- Ample swimming and picnic areas
- Toilet facilities available
- Shannon car Ferries from Tarbert to Killimer or Killimer to Tarbert offers a 10% discount when booking on line for your Shannon car Ferries ticket.
Scattery is guaranteed to leave a lasting impression on you. It is as if the land and the buildings are talking to you — a silent speech about its life and times and the great people who lived, loved, played, and died there. Its rich and varied history sweeps you away, and this tour allows you sufficient time to fully explore the island and learn in great detail the island’s history.
Your tour begins at Kilrush Marina. Enjoy the experience of the Marina’s Locke gates as we exit into the sheltered waters of the Shannon Estuary. Your short sailing to the island takes you past the picturesque village of Cappa and the smaller Hog Island. Laying just beyond this, Scattery’s round tower and cottages come into view on the horizon as we make our approach.
Once we arrive on the island, you are greeted by the OPW tour guides and commence your guided walking tour. Learn about St. Senan’s brave battle against the serpent Cathagh and his creation of the monastic settlement dating back to the early fifth century, and take in the fascinating history this little island holds from the early monastic times right through to the last of the islanders who inhabited Scattery.
On completion of your tour, visit the island exhibition at the visitor centre and soak up the pier-side views back to the mainland of Kerry and Clare as you enjoy your lunch at one of the available picnic tables.
After lunch, you begin your journey across to the southern end of the island, where you can find the lighthouse and battery. Your audio tour guides you by Old Street, where the last of the islanders lived, then onto the lighthouse, and finally the Napoleonic artillery battery, where you learn more about this chapter of the island’s past.
On completion of this audio tour, you have the option to walk the entire circumference of the island, which takes you an additional hour and a half and offers panoramic views of the estuary and Kerry. If you prefer, stroll back along the path you came from towards the visitor centre. Scattery offers fresh clean waters for swimming, and you can swim from the shoreline or off the pier if you wish.
On your return trip, you can avail a refreshing tea or coffee with our onboard cafe facility.
- Good walking shoes
- A water/windproof jacket with hood (weather dependent)
- Swimsuit/towel/picnic blanket (optional)
- Phone and earphones (if you have booked a guided tour in an international language)
Our packed lunch options are made fresh each morning and are supplied to us by the local cafe The Potter’s Hand.
Choose from a selection of bread, meats, and fillings to create your perfect sandwich. Your packed lunch includes a freshly made sandwich of your choice, a piece of fruit, a bottle of water, and a mini treat! All our packed lunches come in a mini cooler bag with a handy crossbody strap, allowing you to carry it comfortably while exploring the island.
Create your own sandwich by selecting your fillings from the following:
Bread Options Meat Options Add Salad Add Dressing Brown Baked Ham Mixed Salad Pesto/Mayo White Fresh Roast Chicken Fresh Lettuce Balsamic Gluten Free Cheddar Cheese Lettuce & Tomato Sweet Chilli
We operate a ‘leave no trace’ policy on the island
All visitors are asked to do their part in protecting this special little island. We work hard to protect the island for future generations, and we ask all our visitors to join us in doing your part to keep the island clean and litter-free.
On your return please ensure you leave your lunch pack back in our office with any rubbish.
Kilrush is a wonderful market town offering many beautiful natural attractions and wonderful restaurants and shops. When visiting, why not also take time to enjoy our special passenger discounts available on shopping or dining or visit these popular attractions? Learn more.