Discover the beauty of Scattery Island and walk the paths of saints and scholars. This tour allows you between 2 and 2.5 hours on the island and includes a guided walking tour.
- Available on selected dates only
- Two-hour cruise
- Includes exiting marina through Locke gates, cruise through the islands and across the Shannon towards Carrig Island, and artillery battery
- Onboard audio tour about Scattery and the Shannon Estuary
- Adults 18 years and older
- Teenagers 13 to 17 year olds
- Children 3 to 12 year olds, Sailing not suitable for children under age 5
- Family 2 Adults and 2 Children under 12 years old
- OAP’s & Students Must have an OAP card or student ID upon arrival
- Infants 2 years and under
Scenic Shannon River Cruise Itinerary
- Tea/coffee/snacks available on the ferry (onboard catering available for group bookings)
- Onboard toilet facilities available
- Shannon car Ferries from Tarbert to Killimer or Killimer to Tarbert offers a 10% discount when booking on line for your Shannon car Ferries ticket.
Our Scenic Shannon River Eco Cruise is ideal for visitors with limited time and those wishing to enjoy views of Scattery and the Shannon Estuary from the comfort of the ferry. This tour last approximately two hours. The estuary has much to offer, including a variety of birds and wildlife. You may even get lucky and spot a dolphin as we travel!
Your tour begins at Kilrush Marina. Enjoy the experience of the Marina’s Locke gates as we exit into the sheltered waters of the Shannon Estuary. After departing the gates, we first cruise past the smaller of our two islands, Hog Island, then onto Scattery Island, where you can enjoy an audio tour on the history of this significant little island.
We then cruise along the shoreline of the island from the northern to the southern end, past the old cottages where you can also see the island’s famous round tower. At the southern end, we pause to show you the Napoleonic artillery battery and lighthouse. Then we cruise across the Shannon Estuary to Carrig Island, where you can see the second of the six Napoleonic artillery batteries located within the Shannon Estuary.
We continue to cruise the Kerry coast and cross back again to the Clare side by Moneypoint, then return to Kilrush via the picturesque village of Cappa.
- Sweater and a water/windproof jacket with hood (weather dependent)
- Binoculars if available
Our packed lunch options are made fresh each morning and supplied to us by the local cafe The Potter’s Hand.
Choose from a selection of bread, meats, and fillings to create your perfect sandwich. Your packed lunch includes a freshly made sandwich of your choice, a piece of fruit, a bottle of water, and a mini treat! All our lunches come in a mini cooler bag with a handy crossbody strap, allowing you to carry it comfortably while exploring the island.
Create your own sandwich by selecting your fillings from the following:
Bread Options Meat Options Add Salad Add Dressing Brown Baked Ham Mixed Salad Pesto/Mayo White Fresh Roast Chicken Fresh Lettuce Balsamic Gluten Free Cheddar Cheese Lettuce & Tomato Sweet Chilli
We operate a ‘leave no trace’ policy on the island
All visitors are asked to do their part in protecting our special little island. We work hard to protect the island for future generations, and we ask all our visitors to join us in doing your part to keep the island clean and litter-free.
On your return please ensure you leave your lunch pack back in our office with any rubbish.
Kilrush is a wonderful market town offering many beautiful natural attractions and wonderful restaurants and shops. When visiting, why not also take time to enjoy our special passenger discounts available on shopping or dining or visit these popular attractions? Learn more.